Mezzanine FloorDesign Guide
Mezzanine floors are a great way of increasing floorspace, However a poorMezzanine floor design may could be costly and may notprovide the benefits you were hoping for.
• The most economical column spacing is around 3metres. If you need greater open space under the floor the columns can be set further apart at an increasing cost.
• The optimum height of the Mezzanine Floor shouldbe 2.7m – 3m (to the top of the floor). This avoids usingan expensive mid-staircase landing.
• The normal floor loading for a storage platform is4.8kN/m2 (480Kg per m 2 ).
• The loads above are based on evenly spread loads and don`t take into account the point loads that would be imposed by shelving or pallet trucks.Inmost cases this doesn`t cause a problem. however a heavy point load could puncha hole through chipboard decking – beware!
• If you`re planning an open storage platform keep thesize to less than 10m in each direction and follow the points above for themost economical design.
• If you`re planning to lift pallets onto the storageplatform then you`ll need to include a pallet gate, ideally somewhere near the top of thestairs.
• Locating the mezzanine floor in the corner of your buildingwill save on the amount ofhandrail that you`ll need and this will reduce the cost.
If you have any question,please contact us now.